The following components commonly found in a solar water heating system. Your system may not require some of these components, depending on the type of solar collector you use:
- Solar collectors convert sunlight to heat energy. Learn more about the different types of solar collectors.
- Heat transfer fluids carry the heat from solar collectors to water storage tanks. In warm climates, the heat transfer fluid may be potable water; in cold climates, a non-toxic anti-freeze. Learn about the importance of heat transfer fluids.
- Heat exchangers transfer solar heat from the transfer fluid to the home water supply. Learn more about the types of heat exchangers.
- Storage tanks store hot water when it is not in use. Find out what type of storage tank is best for your home.
- Pumps control the flow of the transfer fluid through the collector and storage tank.
- Pump station/system controller. These are optional.
In addition to the various parts needed for a solar hot water heating system, you will need to select the correct system size for your household.